CALL FOR ARTISTS: 2022 PRIDE WINDOW
Strengthening, Inspiring, Changing
In honor of Pride 2022, Krasl Art Center (KAC) seeks proposals from LGBTQIA+ artists for a dynamic window installation to remain on view for 12 months.
KAC is a vibrant regional art center and an accredited art museum. Located in Southwest Michigan, adjacent to Benton Harbor, and just 90 miles from Chicago, KAC’s mission is to ‘Inspire Meaningful Change and Strengthen Community through the Visual Arts’. KAC strives to share this mission in multiple ways onsite and throughout the community.
The Pride Window project is a high-impact display that utilizes a north facing window on KAC’s building to capture the attention of the frequent pedestrian and vehicular traffic along Lake Boulevard – a prominent thoroughfare from the downtown and lakefront areas.
Theme: Strengthening, Inspiring, Changing
Media: Vinyl – this may include artist cut vinyl applied to the window to create an original artwork, or an image digitally reproduced to scale on vinyl that is applied to the window.
● Artist Cut Vinyl: full artwork installed by the artist
● Digitally Reproduced Artwork:
● The final project must be prepared in CMYK graphics and be print-ready when submitted at 200 DPI resolution at the final scale.
● At 10% scale. The file would be an 8.6”x16.3” graphic be sent to KAC at 2000 DPI.
● KAC must receive the artwork by May 5 and will oversee its printing and installation.
Original Artwork: Artwork must be original, produced by the selected artist; artwork will be selected based on interpretation of the theme.
AREA FOR PRINT
● Faculty Lounge Office: 86” h x163” w (north-facing)
● Top row individual window dimensions: 54” w/ x 53.25” h
● Bottom row individual dimensions: 54” w x 31.5” h
● Border width: 1.75”
● View-Through (perforated) or cut vinyl will be used.
Artist Stipend: $800
Budget for Materials: $1500
1. March 25: Call for Proposals released
2. April 15: Artist proposals due
3. Artist Chosen: April 18
4. Artist Informed: April 20
5. May 6: Final artwork submitted
a. Project Installed by Printer: Artwork goes to Print; Installer booked; materials are the responsibility of the printer.
b. Project Installed by Artist: Install date and back-up date booked; materials are the responsibility of the artist.
6. May 16 thru 21: Artwork Installed Onsite
Artist Statement: Provide a brief statement (max 250 words) sharing how this artwork aligns to the project theme. This will be used for promotional and educational purposes.
Installation Proposal: Provide a clear proposal outlining installation needs, including material costs, in proposals.
Artists should submit proposals in a full-color PDF format outlining the artist’s statement, installation proposal, and original artwork or concept. Proposals should be emailed to KAC Deputy DIrector & Curator, Tami Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Proposals Due: April 15, 2022